Pages

For People Crazy About 2D Animation!

Acme Punched! is for people crazy about 2D animation. It may be enjoyed by beginners and others, but it is aimed at animators who know already something about the process of animation and the basics of character animation. In large part, it will attempt to provide a deep look into the problem solving that goes on in my head as I work out a scene, often in step-by-step posts that I will sometimes enter in "real time", without knowing in advance what the outcome will be. Mistakes and false starts will not only be included but emphasized, so that the creative process of animation will be portrayed realistically. And, while my own bias is for 2D drawn animation, many of the effects and principles discussed here can apply to CGI 3D animation as well. I hope the blog will prove useful and instructive for all.

-Jim Bradrick

Saturday, April 30, 2016

No. 96, A Poster for "Carry On"

Drawtastic


Today I spent my time promoting this blog and my feelings about 2D animation at an event in Seattle called Drawtastic. This is the brainchild of my friend and fellow 2D animation enthusiast Tony White, whose first book, The Animator's Workbook, has been a valued volume in my animation library for 30 years. Originally from England, Tony for the past several years has lived and taught and written about animation in the Seattle, Washington, area near where I reside.  It was a great pleasure to finally meet him face to face a couple of years ago, especially as we share that passion for preserving and nurturing the art of hand drawn animation.

The event was the first of what we hope to be many annual editions.  It was designed to encompass not just animation drawing but all drawing, and so it included the professional caricaturist Nolan Harris and several other comics artists and graphic novelists among the presenters and vendors. Organized along the lines of a comicon, the vendors like me occupied tables in a hall where visitors could talk to us freely as they moved about, and some of us made drawings during this time. I set up a portable animation board and worked on cleaning up the rough drawings of the Old Man's walk cycle. (The roughs are what I presented in my last post before this one, No. 95.)



The Poster

Also, stimulated by thought about what would make a good visual presentation at my table at the Drawtastic event and despite the fact that I had only about three weeks to get it ready, I decided to create a poster for my film Carry On.And because of the intense work I have been doing on my storyboards for the film, I knew at once exactly what imagery I wanted to show.

My movie poster for Carry On.

In my next post I will talk more about Drawtastic and some of the people I met there, and I will tell about the stages of development the poster went through.

No comments:

Post a Comment